Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Springtime and Cheesecake

 Cheesecake?  Yes, cheesecake, because not every entry can be about jewelry =P

A quick update...Things are going pretty well for Little Hill Jewelry.  I'm still terrible at remembering to update this blog, so I'm sure there are tons of things that have gone on that I should mention, like my gifting a few celebrities, and revamping my website. I'm also working on some new items for spring/summer, but you can see those sneak peeks over on my Facebook page.

It's snowing here in Vermont, which is cool and everything, but the first day of spring is like, a day away, and we've got 8 inches of icy, wet snow on the ground.  Thank goodness for the internet, and my awesome Promotional Frenzy team members over on Etsy--check out some of their spring themed artwork!

This is a stunning photo of Cherry Blossoms in Snow from HausofAriella 
A wonderful print of a blossom against blue sky from NewCreatioNZ
A pretty floral headband from NewEnglandQuilter
And a beautiful brass flower pendant from KapKaDesign



So I thought I'd change things up a little this post, and share my new and ridicilously fantabulous recipe for cheesecake.  Yes, I said cheesecake.  I'm obsessed with cheesecake, but don't eat it often, because desserts aren't generally the healthiest thing on the planet.  Now, don't get me wrong, this cheesecake probably shouldn't take up residence in your daily food pyramid, but it's just perfect for a special treat that won't weigh you down.

I wish I'd thought of it while I was cooking and snapped a few photos, but food-blogger I'm not, so it didn't occur to me.  I know reading a recipe with no pictures is endlessly boring, but believe you me, it's totally worth it!  I know, I know, enough babbling on...here's the recipe!



Totally Awesome and Almost Fat/Sugar Free Lemon Cheesecake

Ingredients:
For the crust:         13/4 C Nilla Waffer Cookies, crushed fine
                              ¼ C unsalted butter, melted
For the Filling:      (3) 8oz packages of fat free cream cheese
                              1C fat free sour cream
                              2C Splenda (or other preferred sugar substitute)
                              3 large eggs
                              2t lemon zest
                              2T lemon juice
For the Topping:   11/2t lemon zest
                              6T lemon juice
                              1 large egg, plus 1 large egg yolk
                              1/2C Splenda (or preferred sugar substitute)
                              2T unsalted butter, cut into small bits

Instructions:
  1. Preheat oven to 325o
  2. Mix cookie crumbs and melted butter until crumbs are evenly coated.  Press crumbs evenly into the bottom of a prepared 9” springform pan. 
    • Don’t have one?  No big deal, you can really use any pan you like so long as it’s comparable in size.  I like the springform pan because the sides pop off, which makes removing the cheesecake a breeze.  If you’re going to use just a regular 9x9” square pan, I suggest lining it with parchment paper, just to save yourself headaches down the line.
  3. Bake crust in preheated oven for 8-10 minutes (I left mine in for 12)
  4. Remove pan from oven and let cool on a wire rack while you prepare the filling
  5. Using a hand or stand mixer, cream together the cream cheese and sour cream. 
    • This is way easier to do if the cream cheese has been hanging out on the counter for a bit.  I took mine out about an hour before I got started, and it was the perfect consistency.
  6. Add eggs one at a time, mixing until just blended.  Then gradually add the Splenda, mixing well.  Finally, add the lemon zest and juice.
  7. Pour filling into the crust and smooth.  Now you’re ready to bake it!
    • Okay, so here’s the thing.  Even full fat/sugar cheesecakes can crack on the top while their baking.  It’s just what cheesecakes do.  By changing the chemistry of the cheesecake (fat free and sugar substitutes), this is actually way more likely to happen.  Fear not, there is a trick to help prevent this!   
    • When you put your cheesecake in the oven to bake, add a small pan of water on another rack.  I bake my cheesecake on the middle rack, with a Pyrex dish with about 1 ½ cups of water on the rack above it.  This creates a moist heat environment, which helps keep the top of your cheesecake from getting all dry and cracked.  But, ya know, even if it does crack, it’s not like it effects how yummy this cheesecake is :)
  8. Bake cheesecake.  How long is really going to depend on your oven, and your environment, and how the food gods are feeling that day.  Generally speaking, it’s going to take between 1 hour 25 minutes and 1 hour 45 minutes.   
    • Normally with cheesecakes, you take it out when the tops starts to get that lovely cream and brown glow to it.  Since we’re using Spelnda, that’s not going to happen (Splenda doesn’t caramelize like sugar), so you have to keep a really close eye on it.   
    • The cheesecake is done when the top looks dry and the center is only slightly jiggle-y when you gently shake the pan.  It’s part science, but mostly magic and instinct.  The cheesecake is going to continue to set up after you take it out of the oven, so a little jiggle is a good thing.
  9. Once the cheesecake is done, take it out and let it hang out on a wire rack while you make the topping.
  10. The topping is basically lemon curd.  It’s tart, sweet, and lemon-y, and it’s not strictly necessary to make this cheesecake, but it is a great finishing touch.
  11. Set up a double boiler.   
    • If you don’t have one, you can improvise like I do and just set a heat safe bowl over a pan of simmering water.  Make sure the bowl doesn’t touch the water, and that steam can escape, and you’re all set.
  12. Add the zest, juice, Splenda, egg, and egg yolk to the bowl and set over simmering water.  Whisk until the mixture is hot and frothy, about 5 minutes.  You really have to whisk constantly to keep the eggs from curdling. 
  13. Once the mixture is hot and frothy, gradually add the butter bits, whisking until each addition melts.  Once all the butter is added, whisk constantly for about 7 minutes until the mixture is smooth, glossy and coats the back of a spoon.  Remove from heat and cool for about 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
  14. Remove the cheesecake from its pan to a serving plate.  If using a springform pan, run a thin knife around the edge to loosen, and then just pop off the sides, then gently slide the cheesecake onto a flat plate.
  15. Top the cheesecake with the lemon curd.   
    • Be sure to do a little taste test of the topping before slathering the cheesecake with it.  It is lemon curd after all, and can be a little tart.  I only ended up using about 2/3rds of the topping spread thinly along the top.
  16. Let the topped cheesecake hang out at room temperature for another 30-45 minutes, and then place in the fridge for several hours, or overnight.
  17. I totally didn’t wait several hours.  More like—barely an hour.  You just want to chill the cheesecake and make sure everything is nice and set before you cut into it.  Try and hold off as long as you can.
  18. Top with fresh raspberries for a fresh burst of color and dig in!  The only fat is from the butter in the crust and topping, and the only sugar is from the cookie crumbs in the crust, making this almost fat and sugar free, and totally, deliciously, diet friendly.
And that’s all there is to it.  Try it out, and let me know in the comments what you think!
Ta ta for now :)

15 comments:

  1. I love cheesecake, but I'm trying to lose weight, so this recipe sounds perfect! Thank you for sharing it, and thank you for including my cherry blossom print!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was so there until you got me on the splenda... that stuff scares the heck out of me after TWO friends were hospitalized using it. It did wacky stuff to their blood sugar and adding splenda was the ONLY change in their otherwise under control diabetic diet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Holly, that is scary! There are tons of other sugar substitutes you can use in this, Splenda is just my preferred brand. Truvia for Baking is pretty wonderful too, sweet without the weird after taste. And of course, you can always use real sugar, but then it's not (almost) sugar free any more :)

      Delete
  3. I like your "magic" ingredient the best :)
    I will translate your cheesecake recipe for my mom, she is diabetic, she will love this. Maybe I can bake the cake with her when I go see her this summer. Thanks for sharing this with us, Heather!

    And thank you for featuring my little necklace:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would probably try to substitute Splenda with Stevia. It is now widely available in health food stores.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing your recipe and for the feature!
    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds good, even though I'm not generally a cheesecake fan, I love lemon. I'll have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Definitely worth a try. Love cheesecake and love lemon curd. I think I'd use Stevia though. Thanks for sharing the recipe and all the helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for featuring my blossom print! I am settling down now to read your recipe! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow, a great combo lemon cheesecake, and not hard on your heart! thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm gonna forward this along to someone actually likes to cook and make them make it for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love to make cheesecake! My favorite is pumpkin praline!! (not much of a pumpkin pie fan) Thanks for sharing a less guilty pleasure!

    ReplyDelete
  12. O.M.G.!!!! I will sooooo be making this very very soon! I LOVE the lemon cheesecake from a restaurant, that I forgot the name of. This sounds like the perfect healthy(ish) version!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Can't wait to give the recipe a try!

    ReplyDelete
  14. After I read the rave reviews on the PromoFrenzy thread today, I had to go back and get the recipe so I can try it! :-)

    ReplyDelete