Friday, May 4, 2012

New Projects

So the other day, I promised I'd post some pictures of the projects I have in the works.  I really meant to post sooner, but the camera I prefer to use to take pictures of my jewelry some how made its way to Washington D.C. with my parents.  Not one to be deterred however, I dug out my old, clunky digital camera and snapped a few photos.  Actually I took a lot of pictures, but I really only ended up with a handful worth saving, and none that I feel like are good enough to use in my shop.

I usually only use this camera for taking pictures of landscapes and oceans and nature-y like stuff.  It has a fairly low pixel count and I've yet to take an up close picture that didn't come out all blurry.  Don't get me wrong, it's a good solid camera, but, if I'm remembering right, it's about 8 years old.  Practically ancient by technology standards.  But I have a hard time letting it go.  It's been pretty faithful all these years, captured some great memories.  And it has a lithium ion rechargeable battery, which I'm pretty sure has saved me a fortune in battery costs over the years.  It has lots of great setting and it works wonderfully outdoors, just not so much when it comes to taking pictures of fine detail.

So dear readers, a promise is a promise, and I said I'd share some pictures by week's end.  Well here it is Friday night, so I suppose I best post a few pictures.  Please forgive the quality.

These are a pair of earrings I made for the woman who won one of my gradient pendants in the contest I ran over on Facebook.  I sent her a coupon for my Etsy shop along with her prize, and she wrote to tell me she was very much interested in a coordinating pair of earrings.  These are one of the options I've come up with.























And these are another pair of earrings kind of along the same lines that could be paired with the black gradient pendant 


Now, neither of these earrings are outside of my design comfort zone.  Despite my photo taking difficulties, these earrings were relatively easy to make and came together quickly.  They aren't the exciting new projects I've been talking about.  The pendant to the left and below are however examples of my latest adventures in designing.

It consists of some hammered copper wire bits, with a fresh water pearl attached to the wrap wires, and it all hangs from a length of brown satin cord.

I really like this pendant.  It reminds me a little of coral and the beach and by default, summer time.  I like th earthy look of the copper contrasted by the pale delicacy of the pearl.  I've got a few similar pendants in the works, one in sterling silver and the other in a combination of sterling silver and 12K gold.  I think I'll be hanging both of those on black satin cord.  I'll be making earrings to match, and as soon as i can, I'll be picking up some soldering supplies to I can make some rings.  And all of these things should be available in my shop by mid-June.

Of course, if I don't make a sale in my shop before then, I might skip listing them and take them to the craft fair instead.  I don't know, it's something I'll have to think about.

I'm working on a few other projects too, one involving some wire work, another mostly bead weaving.  I get on these bead weaving kicks and get super enthralled with one specific weave.  Last month it was right angle weave, and led to the creation of my gradient pendants.  This month, it seems to be the herringbone stitch.  It's been a lot of fun learning and exploring.

Hope everyone has a great weekend!  Until next time, thanks for reading :)

No comments:

Post a Comment